Header

 photo about_zps308d8738.png  photo disclaimer_zpsbb60c5d1.png

4 January 2014

Yes & No

So wow! How fast did Christmas fly by? It seems only yesterday that I could eat a chocolate bar for breakfast and no one would judge me because it's Christmas... No such luck now though!

As you've probably guessed from visiting my blog I've taken nearly two weeks off, just to enjoy myself and time with my family. But now I'm back and eager to start blogging again.

Apologies as this also meant that I've not really been up to my usual self with keeping up with the blogs I usually read! Although I am looking forward to having loads of posts to get stuck into on each blog.

So New Years, what did you all get up to? (I will probably find out when I read your posts, but hey ho!) I went for dinner with M and friends at Brown's Pie Shop in Lincoln.

Yes, a restaurant dedicated to pies; it's as amazing as it sounds.

After a few to many glasses of wine, and full of food, we then strolled over to the Cathedral which is metres away. Well I say strolled, but in reality we couldn't get further than the archway leading to the Cathedral because so many people had massed.

Sorry in advance for the quality of photos, I may have had too many, and I didn't trust myself with my Nikon - unsurprisingly.





Never the less, we huddled in with the crowd, and waited for the countdown, our excited being fed by the atmosphere and the beauty of the Cathedral being lit up at night... But we waited... and waited... and there were a few smatterings of cheers going up, then we realised that no, the bells from the Cathedral were not going to chime in the New Year.

It was a little disappointing, as SO many people gather there each year, it would be amazing if the council/Cathedral did a count down. But never mind, the atmosphere was still brilliant... and how could it not be in a place like this?


So on to the dreaded New Years resolutions, and hence the title of this post; Yes & No.

As many of you know, to say 'yes!' to more things is exactly the reason why I set up this blog in the first place, and I intend to say yes a hell of a lot more this year. I suppose it went without saying that this was going to be a resolution, but I think it's always good to motivate yourself.

And I am planning on getting better at saying the opposite: no. I've read a few posts recently on other bloggers who have said they have a problem with saying the word no to people. And as a result work themselves up into a state. I am exactly like that; I try and please as many people as I can because I don't like to say the word no, and as a result I stress myself out. So I've decided this year I've got to be more confident with using it, and not just blurt out 'of course I can do that! No problem' because often it is a problem for me to actually do it.

Phew, with that outta the way, tell me, what have you been up to? Got any resolutions of your own?

45 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I've also had a break from blogging, but couldn't wait to start up again!
    Looks like you had a nice new years, it's something different to what I usually would do though :)

    ps. I always eat chocolate for breakfast - Christmas or not haha xx

    LauraThinksAbout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, chocolate should always be acceptable for breakfast! x

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year. I made blogging and craft related resolutions but nothing like loosing weight or exercising more, because it never works, I love chocolate too much :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, chocolate is a definite barrier to those resolutions not working :)

      Delete
  3. the cathedral looks beautiful all lit up! no resolutions for me this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, I love it round there at night time!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Emma! The cathedral looks gorgeous, lovely place to ring in the bells (or not as the case may have been!)
    xx
    Wee Bit of Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New year to you too! It was a beautiful place to be despite the no bells!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Years lovely! I'm also on a quest to be more assertive with my no's so that I can fully enjoy what I say yes to. Not the easiest! Hope to see you for a catch up soon :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely not easy! It'd be good to catch up soon! x

      Delete
  6. New year's meal at a pie shop, oh yeah that's how you do it!


    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Pie, pie and more pies!

      Delete
  7. One of my resolutions was to be Tee-total in January... that's failed already! Another one is to eat better and try and lose a stone! That's going well! Sounds like you had a lovely New Year! Mine was so quiet!

    Welcome back lovely! :)

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm doing a dry-january too, it's going alright at the moment! And better eating - I always start, but then I see chocolate :) x

      Delete
  8. I'm the exact same on the people pleaser part, at the end of the summer I started saying no to things though and cutting out some negative people, and feel much better for it! So I hope your saying no goes well too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seconded - it's a really hard thing to do!

      Delete
    2. Yes! I know exactly what you mean :)

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year <3

    The Cathedral looks beautiful and as for pies on NYE, sounds like my kind of night haha!

    I'm the worst at immediately fixing a smile and saying yes, especially when my mind is screaming out no... think it's a common problem & good for you for making it a resolution! Mine are to eat healthier (cliche), travel and make the most of things much more than I did in 2013!

    Sophie xo | soinspo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good resolutions - I think it's great that you've got one to make more of things you do!

      A yes the 'of course I'll do it smile!' I know it well haha x

      Delete
  10. I miss going back there T_T

    My resolutions are focusing more on my blog career and healthy mind with healthy food :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good resolutions!

      I know, Lincoln it beautiful :) x

      Delete
  11. Beautiful place! <3

    http://finddyourway.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  12. These holidays have actually just flown by, so true.
    Hope you've had an amazing New Year =)

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely have, we need Bernard's watch! x

      Delete
  13. What beautiful photographs! And I am definitely one of those people who has trouble saying "no" to people. I guess I have to be better at that as one of my New Years resolutions :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, definitely, it's something I've tried to do before, but this year I'm determined to get better at it x

      Delete
  14. A Pie shop :) sounds yummy. I think its good thing to say Yes! the power of yes you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely see the power of yes, but I think learning how to say no is also a good thing :) x

      Delete
  15. Great post!!! Happy New Year :)
    xoxo

    Novelstyle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year to you! It doesn't matter what you choose to do as long as you enjoy it.
    www.minsbeautyequipment.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - as long as you enjoy it! x

      Delete
  17. Beautiful location to welcome in the new year! :)

    Hope you enjoyed your blog break, and that you manage to stick to your resolutions! :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems a lot of people took time off from blogging for the holidays... I loved it, I think I'm going to make it a tradition!

    Also what silliness that the cathedral didn't chime... isn't it at least just supposed to chime on the hour?!

    belle + compass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that's the weird thing, it does during the day (then switches off at around 9pm I think), so very surprised!

      I think a tradition for it would be good too!

      Delete
  19. If it is any consolation I will NEVER judge you for eating chocolate for breakfast. Mainly because I have each day this week. That lindt bear was just too tasty. Hope you had a great christmas and best wishes for 2014 name twin! May good things come to all Emma's!

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as long as someone doesn't judge me - and who better than another Emma? All good things to all Emmas! x

      Delete
  20. Same here - I definitely disappeared a bit to enjoy the holidays, and don't regret it one bit. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good, a break is well deserved :) x

      Delete
  21. I was exactly the same, you need a little time off sometimes, I'm back now and everything all exciting again instead of being so scheduled! I also definitely ate too much choc for brekkie, lunch.... and dinner this Christmas -_- my thighs are paying for it! (:

    elissex.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, my thighs definitely have paid for it too, but I've been punishing them for it at the gym :) x

      Delete
  22. I do not have the problem to say No, if I do not like something but to your blog I say: YES! :-) XOXO, Sissi http://www.beauty4free2u.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a problem saying either yes or no, mainly because I always overthink stuff!
    Blogablebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading every single one and appreciate them all.